0
Public Homepage
Property Owner Login
Request Login
 
Our Community
Amenities
Other MSPOA Advantages
 
Community Newsletter
POA Documents
Useful Info & Links
POA Management
Photo Albums
Contact Us
 
Peninsula POA Website
Diamond Association Management
 
The Near-by Fischer Community
A long time ago, when area settlements were connected only by gravel roads and a low-water crossing over the Guadalupe River, the Fischer community was a major hub of activity. Folks from all around gathered in Fischer to swap farming tips, buy general merchandise, mingle at the local saloon, dance and socialize at Fischer Hall and bowl at the Fischer Bowling Alley. In Fischer, located just north of where FM 484 meets Highway 32, Mystic Shores residents can experience a rare slice of living history. 

Herman Fischer, Sr. (born 1826) immigrated to New Braunfels from Germany, first settling north of Seguin near Geronimo in 1849. There, Herman fell in love with Anna Lindemann. Anna’s family resettled near Blanco, and Herman travelled the long distance there to court his sweetheart. On one of his journeys, he experienced the tall grass, trees and abundant springs in what is now Fischer. He settled Fischer in 1853 and made it his home with his new wife. Herman’s brother, Otto (born 1831), also resettled in Fischer. Herman established the general merchandise store, post office and bank, and he became known as “Store’ Fischer, and Otto, who pursued the livestock aspect of country life, was known as “Stock” Fischer. Together, they built a community that has survived the winds of change. 

Today, you enter Fischer (from FM 484 crossing Hwy. 32) and see the home of the Fischer’s maternal grandmother on the right, a home built in 1918 from a Sears & Roebuck home kit that arrived in sections over time. The open lot beyond this home (on the right) is the site of the old cotton gin. The prominent Fischer Store –the third building to house the store - is open from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays “unless it’s just too cold”. The store has many antiques for sale and offers a glimpse back in time. Many items of historical significance are on display, like Herman Sr.’s check stock from the bank he ran out of the store, old post office cabinets and equipment, and the store’s liquor license which cost $450 in 1903.   Behind the store is the old gas station, which was relocated to accommodate the modern post office.   To the right of the store stands the old gristmill. Behind the store is Herman, Jr.’s home, built in 1910. And next door is brother Max Wilhelm’s (or “Willie”) home, built two years earlier. Around the corner is the famous Fischer Hall and historic nine-pin bowling alley and, down the road, is the old Fischer School Community Center. 

Next time you are zooming by Fischer, slow down and savor the historic charm so close to home!


 
 
 

Copyright © 1998-2018 AtHomeNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
POA Website by AtHomeNet